Court of Protection – Contact Details

As specialists lawyers, we can help you deal with the CoP: our fees can normally be paid from the assets of the person who needs to be looked after. But we do ask for an initial deposit and Fees as required. Our number for paid professional advice is 01323 384003. But if you were looking to contact the Court of Protection direct, their details are below:

Court of Protection main office contact details (Regional Courts are below):court of protection contact

PO Box 70185, First Avenue House, 42-49 High Holborn, London WC1A 9JA

DX: 160013 Kingsway 7

Court of Protection Contact Details and Function:

The Court helps people who have difficulty making their own decisions. They do this by making the decisions for the person or appointing someone else to do so. Find out how the CoP works to protect vulnerable people.

Before you do, we recommend that you make Lasting Powers of Attorney, so that you can avoid the need for Court of Protection contact details!

The Court of Protection is a specialist court for all issues relating to people who lack capacity to make specific decisions. The Court makes decisions and appoints deputies to make decisions in the best interests of those who lack capacity to do so.

Information on the work of the CoP including:

  • Its powers
  • Fees
  • Making applications
  • Appointing deputies
  • Reaching a decision

What the Court of Protection does:

The Court makes decisions for people who are unable to do so for themselves. It can also appoint someone (called a deputy) to act for people who are unable to make their own decisions. These decisions are for issues involving the person’s property, financial affairs, health and personal welfare.

The Court of Protection can:

  • decide whether a person is able (‘has capacity’) to make a particular decision for themselves
  • make decisions on financial or welfare matters on behalf of people who are unable to do so
  • appoint a deputy to act for someone who is unable to make their own decisions
  • remove deputies or attorneys who fail to carry out their duties
  • decide whether a Lasting or Enduring Power of Attorney is valid
  • hear cases concerning objections to the registration a Lasting Power of Attorney or Enduring Power of Attorney

The Court of Protection Charter tells you what kind of treatment you can expect if you have to make decisions for someone else. You can contact the Court for details of how to complain if you are not happy with the level of service you receive.


(Wales Regional Hub)

Phone numbers:

(North East (Leeds))
(North East (Newcastle))
(Midlands (Birmingham))
(South East)
(North West (Manchester))
(South West)